Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Edmund Burke

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Thoughts about the poor by St. Vincent de Paul

“The street will be long and unfriendly, the stairs and the poor often ungrateful. You will soon find charity a heavy burden, heavier than the jug of soup or the full basket. But you will still be pleasant and smile. Distributing soup and bread is not everything. The rich can do that. The poor are your masters and you will find them terribly exacting masters. So the more unattractive and dirty they are, the more rude and unfair they are, the more you must lavish your love upon them. It is only by feeling your love that the poor will forgive you your gifts of bread. “

St. Vincent de Paul

1 comment:

breadgirl said...

Hi Smiley
I have recently received a Sunshine Award for my blog, LAST WELSH MARTYR, and I would like to pass it on to you because I find your blog to be so informative and interesting. I hope you wil acept the award and pass it on to some of your own favourite blogs. If you aren't sure how it all works, take a look at my blog and all will be revealed. Thanks, Smiley, and God bless you.