More quotes from THE WAY by Saint Josemaria Escriva.
81. Action is worthless without prayer; prayer is worth more than sacrifice.
82. First, prayer; then, atonement; in the third place -very much in the third place - action.
83. Prayer is the foundation of the spiritual edifice. Prayer is all powerful.
84. Domine, doce nos orare. - "Lord, teach us to pray!"
And our Lord awnsered " when you pray say Our Father who art in Heaven...."
How can we fail to appreciate the value of vocal prayer!
85. Slowly. Think about what you're saying, who is saying it and to Whom. Becasue talking fast, without pausing for reflection, is only noise - the clatter of tin cans.
Along with Saint Teresa I'll tell you that, however much you move your lips, I do not call it prayer.
86. Your prayer ought to be liturgical. would that you were given to reciting the psalms and prayers of the missal instead of private or special prayers!
87 "Not by bread alone does man live, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of GOd," said our Lord. Bread and the word! The host and prayer.
Without these you won't live a cupernatural life.
88. YOu seek the firendship of thsoe who, with thier conversation and affection, with thier company, help you to bear more easily the exile of this world - although sometimes those friends fail you. I don't see anything wrong with that.
But how is it that you do not seek everyday, more eagerly, the company, the conversation of that great freind who will never fail you?
89. "Mary has chosen the better part," we read in holy Gospel. There she is, drinking in the words of the Master. Apparently idle, she is praying and loving. Afterwards she accompanies Jesus in his preaching through towns and villages.
Without prayer, how difficult it is to accompnay him!
90. YOu dont know how to pray? Put yourself in the presence of God, and as soon as you have said, "Lord I dont know how to pray!" you can be sure you have already begun.
At the canonization of the Fatima seers
3 days ago